By Purkeys | Dec 3, 2014

HOW DEPTH-OF-DISCHARGE AFFECTS LIFESPAN AND CAPABILITY OF BATTERIES

In the heavy-duty trucking industry the vehicle’s electrical system is critically important. By keeping batteries at a good state of charge, fleets can get the most from their electrical systems.

Depth-of-discharge is a measure of a battery’s rate of discharge, expressed as a percentage of the total capacity. Take a fully charged truck battery for example. If it possesses 100 amp hours and loses 20 amp hours, it equates to a 20 percent depth of discharge leaving the battery at an 80 percent state-of-charge.
Modac_product(3)

  • Short engine run time
  • Incorrect alternator output
  • Faulty circuitry

Purkeys uses their MODAC data loggers to assist fleets in developing an electrical profile. These profiles will help fleets locate inefficiencies in their electrical systems. By keeping batteries at a good state of charge fleets can reduce battery costs and increase overall cycle life.